Since hitting my 500 post milestone and I have been thinking about my thought processes, my goals in life, and how that has molded this blog. As a result I have come up with 10 things that move me towards my goals. These can be applied to anyone's goals no matter how different form mine they may be.
- Spend your time and money on what you are passionate about. Go as cheap as possible on everything else.
- Time is your most valuable asset of all. Manage it well and use every advantage you can.
- Get and stay out of debt. Build and emergency fund and eliminate all debts as fast as possible including mortgages.
- Pack Light. I lived for 18+ months out of a backpack that weighed 30 lbs by the end of my trip. Taking less with you makes travel so much easier and more enjoyable
- Have a cash buffer. An emergency fund is one of the easiest and most powerful things that you can have for peace of mind and insurance. Start with $1,000 as a minimum and build from there
- Know who your friends really are. Keep in touch and help each other when you can. No matter where you live in the world everyone needs friends. Life alone is a miserable existence.
- Take advantage of rewards programs. I preach a lot about points and miles here. These programs, when used correctly, can save you a lot of money and give great experiences on top of that. Keep and eye out for bonuses and promotions that you can profit from.
- Invest in experiences--not material items. You will get a lot more joy and a great memories from skydiving versus buying a Mercedes. Things come and go. Memories are for a lifetime and can never break or be stolen.
- Invest all long term savings. Simple savings accounts and CD's won't outpace inflation. You need a diverse portfolio of stocks and bonds to truly get ahead and to be able to stop working someday.
- Pursue your hobbies and dreams in your spare time. Make it a priority to do the things you wanted to do as a child and adult. Make a "bucket list" and get to work on it!